I was thinking about my upcoming trip home — a Spring Break of sorts — and all the people and things I want to see and do and some of the things I hope to avoid while I’m home. There are some things I am going to take a break from. I’m sure by the end of my time in the US I’ll be chomping at the bit to get back to the relaxed pace of Latin America and the quirks of living overseas, but there are a few things I’ll be happy to do without.
Check out the list below:
- No soldiers or police in camouflage or flak jackets with an M16, Rifle, shotgun or a Baretta at their sides
- Corn tortillas, rice, beans and jalapeños, even though my love affair with them is not lost, just going on a brief hiatus
- Scorpions, Mosquitoes, clicking Geckos or Big green Frogs waiting to greet me at the door or crawling around in the house
- Passing one or more cars at high speeds as we round the bend
- Dramamine filled drives to the beach or ruins
These are some of the things I’m looking forward to after seeing friends and family:
- Rice paper, fish sauce grilled pork — Asian style
- Wonton Soup, home made Mu Shu Pork
- Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry) with Rice Pilau
- My kitchen and appliances
- Walking around — stepping outside the house and just walking
- Shopping for a new hot weather wardrobe
- NEW SHOES!! My favorite pair have to be thrown out — they now have holes i them!
- Television!! It’s been 5 months!
- A movie marathon in a movie theater with stadium seating
- Grilled Artichokes
- Fresh shrimp
- The progress on the Silver Line Metro construction
- A FRANwich!
- Bagels & Lox
There are a couple of things I’m going to miss:
- Not having to drive
- Not having to park
- THE CARIBBEAN!!!!
- Not having to make my bed
- Coming home to a sparkling clean house with a bed made and clothes cleaned every weekday
- The beach!
- The chaos of a full call floor at peak hours
- A parrillada with a killer grill every weekend
- Spanish being spoken all around me and understanding one out of every ten words
And when I come home to Honduras, I’ll start to build a new list, but I’m sure it will be different in some ways. I’ll see you when I return — whichever way I’m headed. Hasta Luego!
And with that, it’s time to start prepping the jalapños for the largest parrillada yet as.